When the “gentiles” reject the fullness of the Gospel, a gear will shift in the divine transmission of God’s timetable, and the times of the gentiles will be fulfilled. In other words, it will have reached its climax, and accomplished its purposes. It will not fail, but will be fulfilled, which means to fulfill all of their promises, having achieved the goal. But, being fully accomplished also means that it is time for the Gospel to be returned to the literal descendants of the house of Israel.
It may seem ironic that a rejection could trigger a fulfillment. But, one must also remember that what follows next is a great sifting of the souls of men prior to the Second Coming, and this rejection of the “fullness” is the first major shake of the sieve of men’s souls. It is also profoundly true that there are those among the “gentiles” who receive, embrace and accomplish every blessing that the fullness promises. This is the fulfillment.
Here are just a few of the prophetic statements concerning the fulfillment of the times of the gentiles.
- The times of the Gentiles are fulfilled (1 Nephi 13:42; Luke 21:24)
- The Gospel will be offered once again to the house of Israel (D&C 88:89-90), but they will continue to reject it until Christ comes in glory. (D&C 45:51-52)
- After your testimony (of words) comes the testimony of wrath and indignation upon the people; earthquakes. (D&C 29:16)
- There shall be false prophets and false Christs, great signs and wonders, they shall almost deceive the very elect. (Joseph Smith 1:22, Revelation 13:13-14)
- People shall say that miracles are done away. Secret combinations and works of darkness. The power of God shall be denied, and churches are defiled with pride. Fires, tempests, vapors of smoke, wars and rumors of wars, and earthquakes in divers places. Great pollutions upon the earth; murders, robbing, lying, deceiving, whoredoms and abominations. (Mormon 8:26-41)
- Signs of Second Coming given. Sun darkened, moon turned into blood, and the stars fall from heaven. (D&C 45:39-42; Joel 2:30-31)
- Men refuse to believe the signs of the times. (2 Peter 3:3-4, Matthew 16:1-4, D&C 45:26) They eat drink, marry and given in marriage. For in such an hour as ye think not, the Son of Man cometh.” (Joseph Smith 1:40-48)
- Lamanites to blossom as the rose. (Remember, roses have thorns.). (D&C 49:24-25)
- Lamanites like a young lion among the gentiles. None can deliver. Gentles must repent. I will destroy thy chariots and horses, cut off the cities and throw down the strongholds. (3 Nephi 21:12-20)
- Wars upon the face of the earth. Wicked shall slay the wicked. Fear shall come upon every man. The Saints shall hardly escape. (D&C 63:33-34; 97:22-24)
- Famine, depression and economic turmoil. (Mormon Doctrine, p 729)
- Drunken with iniquity and all manner of abominations; visited with storm, tempest, with flame of devouring fire. (2 Nephi 27:1-2)
- Gross darkness covers the minds of the people and all flesh has become corrupt. A day of wrath, of burning, desolation, weeping, mourning and lamentation, as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth. (D&C 112:24)
- All who will not take his sword against his neighbor must needs flee unto Zion for safety. (D&C 45:68)
All of these events are prophesied to take place after the times of the gentiles are fulfilled, and before the Second Coming.
Those days will introduce the great tribulations which are yet to follow. This is the great period of danger for the gentiles because we will have either rejected the fullness of the gospel, or embraced it, but we will not escape these beginning destructions. These will be the days of food storage and great faith.
In the days that immediately follow these opening scenes Zion will be built and populated, and there those who have obtained the fullness of the gospel will find safety while the remainder of the tribulations are poured out upon the remainder of mankind.
These are messages of peace and great hope. When we embrace the fullness and sacrifice all to obtain the lofty stature of righteousness, we will not only survive, but we will build Zion and at last end this Telestial world and begin a thousand years of peace.
Next Un-Blog: Adam-Ondi-Ahmen
© January 2012, John M. Pontius, all rights reserved. Non-commercial reproduction permitted.