The Savior gave us the parable of the Ten Virgins several thousand years ago. It wasn’t until 1831 that we actually received the interpretation of that parable directly from the Lord. We’ve had 180 years to figure it out.
And at that day, when I shall come in my glory, shall the parable be fulfilled which I spake concerning the ten virgins. For they that are wise, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived – Verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day. And the earth shall be given unto them for an inheritance, and they shall multiply and wax strong, and their children shall grow up without sin unto salvation. For the Lord shall be in their midst, and his glory shall be upon them, and he will be their king and their lawgiver. (D&C 45:57-59)
As I have been working on Spencer’s book, which presents a very clear picture of the trials and glories of the days immediately before the Second Coming, this message is born out again and again – that those who have covenanted their lives to full obedience to the voice of the Holy Spirit, will survive those days. They will walk in the way of divine protection, and even if the Lord’s plan calls for them to leave this world of uncertainty, they will be even more powerful, and more able to protect their families from their new position of glory. To be creatures of the Holy Spirit is our only safety – and it is a powerful promise because it came from Jesus Christ Himself.
In time, the earth shall be given to the “Wise Virgins” for an inheritance, and they will become strong, because they will be changed so that the trials of the earth, death and disease, can no longer affect them. And their children shall grow up without sin unto salvation.
And next we are given the promise of the great millennial condition – The Lord shall be in their midst, and His glory shall be upon them, and He will be their king and their lawgiver.
There is a tendency to react to these words with fear – fear for our comfort, for our families, our homes and our safety. But, the truth is, that we have a perfect formula for “abiding the day”. It is that we should take the Holy Spirit as our guide.
It is also instructive that all ten of these people awaiting the arrival of the Bridegroom are virgins. A virgin is someone who is pure, who has not been polluted by the sin and impurity of mortality. They have worked all their lives to be, and to do good. But, just being a “virgin” is not enough. We must also have the Holy Spirit for our guide.
Why isn’t just being good enough? It is because being good is an act of compliance with law, and the law does not show us where to be, or when to duck, or where to go when these troubled times achieve their full power. Only obeying Christ’s voice makes one a disciple of Christ, and only Christ can show you the pathway of safety and abundance in that day.
The formula for surviving the Second Coming is this:
- Be a spiritual Virgin
- Repent, fulfill your covenants, and walk the Gospel path. Never cease to Ask, Seek and Knock.
- Take the Holy Spirit for your guide
- Learn to hear the voice of Christ in your heart and mind, and make a lifelong covenant to obey. Recall that in the parable, even when the foolish virgins realized their error, there was not time to become “wise”. It takes a lifetime to take the Holy Spirit to be your guide, and to amplify that voice into constant revelation. We must do this now, and continue it forever. Then, you will be among the “wise”, and you will have oil in your lamps.
- Do not be deceived
- Whatever this deception is in its fullest definition, it certainly includes the falsehood that we do not need to have the Holy Spirit as our constant companion, and our lives in constant compliance with divine will. It certainly includes the falsehood that just “doing” the gospel regimen is all that is required. It demands that we must find our own way, and plot our own course first, doing things of our own free will, and that revelation is reserved for only those desperate moments when our intellect cannot find an escape. It deceives us into thinking that once the ordinances are pronounced, there is nothing more to be done but go to church and pay tithing.
- This deception is a mist of darkness which Lehi saw obscuring the Iron Rod, and way to the Tree of Life – which is an interesting parallel considering we are now concerned about losing our lives in the upcoming “tribulation”.
- It is interesting that so many misunderstand, and are “deceived” in this way, even though they covenant every week to “Always remember Him and keep His commandments, that they may ALWAYS have His spirit to be with them.”
Besides, it is fun to be a wise virgin, to feel the guiding hand of Christ, to walk in growing light, and to look with joy upon the changing world – rather than with terror. I am personally looking forward to the day when darkness no longer enslaves the world and evil no longer rules; when sickness and death no longer sweep the floors of mortality. To end this world of horror, to see Christ come and cleanse by fire, for this I am willing to do and be anything – including working from whichever side of the veil the Lord desires.
Happy day, all is well.
© October 2011, John M. Pontius, all rights reserved. Non-commercial reproduction permitted.